June 7, 2014

Gastro death

I've been getting sick again.  The stress of life currently and certain food choices have made it impossible for me to feel good.  I've made bad choices and I keep making them.  So, I'm back on the hunt for low-fat low-fiber foods, diets, and recipes.  It's always interesting to see what people put on the Internet in regards to this, and I have to be careful.  There are plenty of nuts out there convinced that since bulk fiber is good for most people, it must be good in large amounts for everyone.  These people make me want to scream.  Good sites will let you know that you have to be careful on this diet to get all of your nutrients.  If you're new to the low-fiber diet, go here, to Food to Glow, a cancer diet site.  Weirdly, its usually people with cancer or are recovering from colon surgery have to eat the same diet I do.  The difference is they get to go off of it eventually.  I really shouldn't.  I do, and there are always consequences.  I cannot face living the rest of my life without bacon, OK?  Don't judge me. 

Anyhoo, looking for food, and I learned something.  Stay off Yummly, it will just make you mad.  I searched ""low fiber" "low fat" diet blog recipes" and everything that came up was high fiber.  Jerks.  LIVEStrong is a good overview, but nothing, dare I ask it, inspired?  I'm so bored of chicken broth and overcooked rice.  Canned veggies are not tasty.  I just found this thread on Chowhound, and it has some amazing ideas.  Meals For You has some suggestions and ways to search by fat, or carbs, and its very clear.

Next, we have the less than useful information.  You know, 90% of the Internet?  This forum thread is totally insane and has no real info in it.  It is a great example of the stupid things people say on the Internet.  Fun stuff.  Or what I saw when I searched recipes.

No, wait.  I said... Nevermind.

     On another note, I have some recipes of my own.  If you roast some veggies in the oven, this is a good starter recipe.  I personally don't use the balsamic, it makes it too acidy for me.  But this softens whatever veg you have in the fridge wonderfully.  After they're done, throw them in with some chicken stock.  I make my soup fairly brothy, especially if I'm not feeling great.  If you want chicken, feel free to throw some in with the veggies.  Raw is ok, because you're going to be simmering this bad boy quite awhile.  Don't forget to check your chicken before you eat it, it has to be white all the way through.  I turn it up to high, then when it starts bubbling I turn it down to where it simmers.  I leave it, stirring every couple of minutes or so, for at least a half an hour.  Use a potato masher or good sized fork to squish everything up nice and soft.  When its done, let it cool for a few, then enjoy.  I also have been known to take just a tad of olive oil, soften some onions and leeks on low.  Next I throw in some diced potatoes, and cook that down.  Just when a little brown starts to show, cover everything with at least 2 inches above the potatoes with chicken or vegetable broth.  Simmer 20 minutes- half an hour.  Bam, soup.

What are your best angry gut recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment